Ping Coombes’ Asian Cacio e Pepe
- 1 tbs salt
- 200g spaghetti
- 50g butter
- 50g Woh Hup Black Pepper Paste
- 100-120ml pasta water
- 60g parmesan cheese, grated
- 60g pecorino cheese, grated
“Cacio e pepe is an Italian pasta dish consisting of black pepper, butter and cheese folded into hot pasta which is both addictive and moorish. I have taken that idea and played ode to the original version by using Woh Hup Black Pepper Sauce which works so well. It is not a better version, just my take on a classic.” Ping Coombes
- Bring a pan of water and salt to boil. Cook your pasta according to the packet instructions. Cook it slightly al dente. Drain and retain the pasta water.
- Mix the two cheeses together and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat ¾ of the butter in medium heat till melted and add in Woh Hup black pepper sauce. Mix well with the butter and add in 100ml pasta water.
- Bring it to simmer and add in the drained pasta and remaining butter.
- Lower the heat and add in ¾ cheese and mix well into the hot pasta till it melts. The sauce should be silky and coat the pasta. You can loosen with a little more pasta water if it seems dry.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with the remaining cheese.