Makan Malaysia Assam laksa
- 2 tablespoons - Woh Hup Laksa Paste
- 2 sticks of lemongrass
- 1.4L fish stock
- 100ml tamarind
- 50g smoked mackerel, flaked
- 400g cooked thick rice noodles
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Cucumber julienned
- Pineapple julienned
- Sliced Red onion
- Lime wedges
- Chopped Spring onion
“Assam laksa is a heart-warming, noodle soup dish made with fish broth. It is spicy and flavourful from the paste, tangy from tamarind and well balanced with a bit of sweetness from the pineapple and cooling cucumber. This dish is comforting and nostalgic and the best part is that it can be done in 30 minutes!” – @makanmalaysiauk
- Fry the paste and lemongrass in oil until fragrant using a large saucepan.
- Add fish stock, mackerel and tamarind.
- Leave to cook for 20 minutes in medium heat, covered with a lid.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare garnish and noodles.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasoning with salt and sugar.
- To serve, divide the noodles evenly between two bowls, add soup on top and layer with garnish.