Makan Malaysia Vegan rendang curry with mixed mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Woh Hup Rendang Curry Paste
- 2 sticks of lemongrass
- 600g of assorted mushrooms. For this recipe we used shiitake, oyster, shimeji and king oyster but feel free to experiment with any mushrooms you can find
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 600ml coconut milk
- 30g of kerisik (desiccated coconut), toasted until brown and then blended or pounded to form a smooth paste
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
“This vegan recipe for rendang deliver deep, delicious and rich flavour. It involves making kerisik (toasted and pounded coconut) which can take time to make but really gives it a rewarding deep flavour, elevating the rendang.” – @makanmalaysiauk
- Fry mushrooms in oil on a pan until cooked and slightly brown on the edges. This ensures that the mushrooms in the final dish have a crisp edge, and not slimy.
- Once cooked, remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Fry sliced onion in oil, when they start to go translucent, add rendang paste and lemongrass sticks and fry until fragrant.
- Reintroduce the mushrooms into the pan, and add the coconut milk, kerisik and kaffir lime leaves.
- Leave to cook with the lid off for 15 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and sugar.
- The final dish will be a thick gravy, not too saucy. If the dish is wet, continue to cook on a low heat until it reduces. Serve with freshly cooked rice.